Thursday, August 13, 2009

The "HappySad Tear"

The "HappySad Tear" Leaving Boston was arguably harder than leaving yes...K-town. This might be obvious to the average American, however I spent four blissful years in the Wisconsin paradise that is Kenosha. And yet, after a little over two months in Bean Town I shed a tear onto my keyboard after clicking that little blue "confirm order" on AirTran.com. My one-way flight was purchased, and little did I know I would shed a few more tears in the days to come. I was happysad. A ski coach once told my competitively passionate alpine-racing sister she was the only person he knew of who could smile and cry at exactly the same time. It's true, she has perfected the picture of happysad. Its a human phenomenon really, you can watch her big smile retain its beautiful shape as tears seriously stream down her rosy cheeks. Leaving Boston felt like the happysad, smilecry for days. There was the office lunch party to say goodbye/thank you to me (the three-days-a-week-unpaid-intern), the hug thank you/goodbye/hopefully I'll see you again soon to my neighbor friend, my last cardio boot camp class, my last third-wheel family dinner, my last chance to wear my sister's socks and perhaps the most unexpected smilecry...my last appointment with Laura the nail technician. Laura brought a perspective to my life I had never really been confronted by. I am drawn to, but distant from her perspective; it has a lot to do with Wordsworth...

No comments:

Post a Comment